The Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse from Posturite permits either hand to rest comfortably on the base, while maintaining a relaxed vertical orientation alongside the body of the mouse. Because the hand rests on the base and not on the desk, most movement of the mouse is achieved by employing the larger motor muscles in the forearm and upper arm. However, finer cursor control can be still be achieved with small hand and/or finger movements. The ambidextrous design and central "bow-tie" switch allow for easy transitioning between right and left handed use, encouraging load-balancing use throughout the day. The weight of the hand resting on the base ensures easy movement and control, greatly limiting any need to "grip" the mouse, and thus permitting the fingers to remain relaxed while still being in optimal position for clicking. Features include adjustable DPI (400, 600, 800, or 1200), a precision scroll wheel and BioCote, a silver-based antimicrobial coating. The Penguin is available in both wired and wireless rechargeable models.
In order to better meet the ergonomic requirements of the broadest range of individuals, the Penguin Mouse is available in 3 sizes - Small, Medium,and Large. This Sizing Chart can assist in determining which model will provide the best fit for those with hands that are evenly proportioned. However, for cases where unusually long fingers or a very broad palm exist we encourage you to contact us for sizing assistance.
The Ambidextrous design of the Penguin Mouse encourages the practice of load balancing throughout the day by letting the repetitive actions of mousing be shared between both the left and right arms. Changing sides throughout the day reduces the degree of continuous repetitive movement by introducing alternating periods of rest.
Encourages Blood Flow Through the Arm
An ordinary horizontal mouse causes the forearm to twist away from its natural position, which can reduce blood flow, put muscles in awkward positions and increase the rate of fatigue. For many, this can result in discomfort and pain while mousing. The vertical orientation of the Penguin provides a more natural forearm positioning while the increased upper arm movement associated with the Penguin can aid in reducing potential restriction in the thoracic outlet.
Eliminates Forearm Pronation
The vertical forearm orientation that the Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse affords permits the muscles to relax, as the hand is positioned in a more natural and relaxed position than the palm-down position required with a traditional mouse.
Eliminates the Risk of 'Trigger Finger' and 'Clawing'
As the fingers are able to relax against the buttons in a curled position there is no reason to "hover" over the buttons. Clicking becomes a natural action as the fingers are simply curled inward to activate the buttons. The large diameter and rubberized finish of the scroll wheel lets scrolling through documents be accomplished with less repetition and with a more natural curling of the fingers.
Eliminates Traditional NEED TO 'Grip The Mouse'
The upright design of the Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse eliminates the pinching action commonly engaged in when using a traditional mouse. Rather than the thumb and fingers working in opposition to each other the thumb is able to rest alongside the mouse primarily as a stabilizer to maintain a comfortable contact with the body of the mouse. The weight of the hand resting on the base of mouse provides sufficient contact to enable mouse movement without having to control it by gripping.
Almost Zero Learning Curve
The position of the hand on the Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse is both natural and relaxed. Since the buttons are activated with the same fingers as on most traditional mice most people will adapt without any hesitation. The vertical design accommodates regular switching from side to side, with the Bowtie left/right switch eliminating any need to access the Control Panel when changing hands.
Since clicking is generated by simply curling the fingers backward towards the hand the cursor remains stable.
Pointer control as accurate as with any other high-quality mouse can be achieved.
- 3 Sizes Available: Small, Medium, and Large sizes accommodate virtually any hand size.
- Adjustable Laser Sensor: The DPI selector on the underside lets individuals select the most suitable of four pointer speed settings (400, 600, 800, 1200 DPI).
- Wired & Wireless Options: All sizes are available in both Wired and Wireless models. The Wireless models have a rechargeable Lithium battery and include a detachable retracting USB charging cord.
- DPI Selection Indicator: A blue LED behind the scroll wheel flashes to indicate pointer speed selection.
- Oversized Scroll Wheel: The large scroll wheel moves with minimal effort and can be easily accessed. The rubberized finish ensures crisp movement.
- Bowtie Switch: This convenient switch facilitates quick transitions between right- and left-handed use, eliminating any need to access the system mouse settings.
- Antimicrobial Coating: The Penguin Mouse incorporates BioCote, a silver-based anti-microbial coating that makes it ideal for multi-user environments.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse
Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse - Front View
Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse - Top View
Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse - Correct Hand Positioning
Penguin Mouse - Available in 3 Sizes
Penguin Mouse - Eliminates Pronation
Penguin Mouse Sizing Guide
Penguin Mouse Low Friction WowPad Mousing Surface Accessory
- Sizing Chart: PDF
- Usability Study January 2013: PDF
- Base Size:
Small: 3.875" (9.8 cm) W x 4.75" (12.1 cm) D
Medium: 4.25" (11.4 cm) W x 5.375" (13.7 cm) D
Large: 4.75" (12.1 cm) W x 6.0" (15.2 cm) D
Small: 3.0" (7.6 cm)
Medium: 3.5" (8.9 cm)
Large: 3.875" (9.8 cm)
Small: 5.14 oz (146 grams)
Medium: 6.56 oz (187 grams)
Large: 7.86 oz (223 grams)
Back portion is polyurethane finish which ensures positive hand contact
Belly is Silver plastic, enabling fingers to move smoothly on buttons
Silver-based BioCote Antimicrobial Coating
- Laser Resolution: 400, 600, 800, 1200 DPI
PC: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
Mac: OS X
- Interface: USB 2.0
- Cord Length: 72" (1.83 m)
- Default Button Functions:
Top finger Button: Left Click
Scroll Wheel Button: Middle Click
Bottom Finger Button: Right Click
Bow-Tie Switch: Right/Left Selection
- Available Models: Small, Medium and Large (also available in Wireless Model.)
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Package Contents: Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse, User Guide
- Selecting the correct size of Penguin is key to unlocking the ergonomic benefits of the Penguin. Following the sizing guide will work for most people. However, if you are aware that your hand is unusually broad for its size or you have longer-than-average fingers you may wish to call and speak to a customer service representative prior to ordering.
- When using the Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical mouse you want your mouse height to be approximately level with your keyboard, with your elbow at approximately 90° and positioned below your shoulder. Your shoulder should also be relaxed. If you feel that you are "hunching" your shoulder in order to achieve the above position then you are most likely sitting too low in relation to the mouse and keyboard height.
- Let the side of your hand rest on the base of the mouse. Gravity will keep your hand in place and provide the contact necessary for mouse control. Your thumb should rest up along the back of the mouse, keeping your hand in the best position.
- Move the mouse with your arm! This may take a while to get used to if you have been using a traditional mouse. Most cursor movement can be accomplished using the arm, with the fingers being used to just complete finer movements.
- Using a dedicated low-friction mousing surface will reduce the amount of effort required to move the mouse. Desk surfaces are smooth but they are not "low-friction". In fact, most desk surfaces actually increase friction.
- Remember to use both hands. Switching is easy, simply move the mouse to your other side, toggle the "bowtie" switch to change the scrolling direction and you are ready to work. If you are unused to mousing with both hands remember to break yourself in slowly. Switch back and forth, slowly extending the periods of usage with the second hand until you are balancing between both hands.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|982-0098|| Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse, Small, Corded, USB||90.00|
|982-0100|| Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse, Medium, Corded, USB||90.00|
|982-0101|| Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse, Large, Corded, USB||90.00|
|8DG55-PEN|| Black with Posturite logo, Bulk Packaging||8.00 |